Wednesday, December 15, 2010

3 Years Old

I wonder how much of a part denial plays in my slow blogging. It is, afterall, 6 days after my baby's 3rd birthday and I have yet to put my thoughts down. It seems a bit off that so much time has passed. It really seems like just recently that we found out Ethan was a boy growing in my tummy, and laid in bed feeling his kicks and squirms. In those days when I tried to envision his face and personality - I had no idea that the little boy growing inside me would be even half the child he has become. There is something quietly spectacular about this little person. Something deeper than his big blue eyes and softly dimpled cheeks. Something that makes me overwhelmingly proud for reasons I can't quite say. I am cherishing these days of snuggles in my lap, as he is still very attached to both his blanket and his thumb - but I am filled with a subdued eagerness to watch my boy grow. To see how his intelligence and persistence develop and what outlets he finds for using his abilities. Dare I say - I think it will be great. But for now he is just my baby, sitting on my lap telling me that D is for dolphin and asking me to sing him Twinkle Twinkle Little star "just one more time". His abilities are used for sneaking things he's told he can't have and postponing bed time in increments of hours. His hero is Diego and he holds marathon play sessions with his cars and trains. He's learned the art of annoying his sister and even though I was the sister once upon a time, I find the humor in his antics that Faith does not. He has a way of talking with his hands that makes it seem like everything he's saying is urgent or true. He's shy around strangers but if he chooses you to be his new friend, you will most certainly love him forever. And his smile...oh his smile. Not the cheesy one he does, when you're about to click the camera - but the real one, when he looks at you just so and you're certain to give him whatever it is he shouldn't be asking for just because the world's sweetest smile makes you forget why the answer was no. So Happy Birthday to the most amazing little boy I've ever known. Mommy loves you in more ways than a blog could ever say!





1 comment:

  1. I love this boy so much too! Can't wait until there are two!

    ReplyDelete