Friday, March 6, 2009
Just some randomness
So while doing the dishes today, I emptied the contents of last night's dinner into the garbage. Faith was standing next to me and immediately started gagging. I couldn't help but laugh because she reminded me SO much of myself. I used to gag at anything that looked or smelled even remotely not good. Doing dishes was a major chore for me because I hated the way the smells of different things mingled in the sink and absolutely despised touching anything that looked less than edible. When I still lived with my parents, my dad would always go around making a gagging noise, teasing me about my sensitive stomach. Then when Matt and I moved in together, I was constantly calling him to take care of things I knew my stomach wouldn't allow me to do. Boy did he hate that... Well fast forward to today and I realize these things just don't have the same effect on me! You always hear people saying how motherhood changes you and it's just so very true. Sure there are the really big things, but even the little things, like being able to get through the dishes without puking on them! 12 years ago, when I first met my best friend, she told me that she wanted to grow up to be a house wife and mother. I remember silently scoffing, what kind of dreams and aspirations were those? What was honorable about sitting around all day looking after kids and catering to your husband? I held on to these ideas well into highschool. I met a guy when I was 18 who told me that he just wanted to find a woman he could take care of, one that would want to stay home and raise his kids. I couldn't imagine anyone saying anything that could turn me off more. In fact, I never talked to him again! Motherhood to me was having a career your kids would feel proud telling their friends about and still being able to tuck them in at night. And then I had Faith. This sweet, precious baby, who needed me more than anything else in the world, and I couldn't leave her. I still worked nights while she slept, unable to seperate myself from the ideals I'd held for 21 years, but I needed to be with her during the day. I can't say my evolution was fast, but looking back over the last 3 years, I realize I'm a completely different person. I can't think of any one career more honorable than raising the children I brought into this world. I can't think of any job that would feel more rewarding at the end of the day. Being a stay at home mom doesn't seem like the exception to me anymore and I often times forget that other mothers work outside of the home. If someone had told me 4 years ago that I would be a stay at home mom, with 2 small children (or that I would like cooking!) I would have laughed, or maybe scowled at the whole idea. It would have seemed nothing short of absurd to me. So while some changes are as trivial as diligently doing the dishes, others are more far reaching - life changing. Amazing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What a beautiful post! I totally agree with it being the best thing in the world. Thanks for giving a shout out to me too! Yuuuussssss!!!
ReplyDelete