Friday, May 29, 2009
My Immigration Rant
I've always held conflicting views on immigration in America. As the child of an immigrant, I can attest to the hard work and dedication of some of the people who come to this country truly looking for a better lot in life. My father is the hardest working person I know. I'm so filled with pride when I think of him that it brings tears to my eyes. He never worked for riches or self gratification, but to support the family he loved and provide a way that so many people are too lazy to work for. He came here as a child, his relatives looking for the American Dream, and he's made every person who ever hoped for it proud. He's earned every single thing he calls his own and he should be the inspiration for both citizens and immigrants alike. Now on the other hand, I believe that the United States is a pretty cramped place. We often have too many mouths to feed and lack the means to feed them. Because of this, I've almost always supported tighter immigration laws. I don't think people who are here should be deported, but I think we should slow the traffic of people coming in looking for an opportunity until those already established have had their chance. Look out for # 1 and all that. As this recession has hit though, I'm seeing the true colors of Americans and it disgusts me. We as a country are a lazy, greedy people and should be ashamed. Two years ago Americans were too good to work the fields. They were too good to put in the blood, sweat and tears to make a laborious wage and they left it to the immigrants who were willing to take whatever they could get. Now those same lazy Americans are complaining about the number of immigrants taking these jobs that they were too good for not too long ago. Why should hard-working, sacrificing people have society breathing down their necks just because lazy America has decided they'll have to work for a living? Because lazy America's hand-out from Uncle Sam is dwindling. People look the other way as illegal immigrants slave away and keep our costs down, both from a business stand point and at the grocery stores and basically keep our labor market moving, but then want to complain when they suddenly decide they want or need the job. Americans are ridiculously hypocritical. And speaking of hypocrites...lets look at how we got this land we call our own. The history books make it sound sweet, but we're claiming stolen land here. We took it cruelly and shamefully, forcing natives off their own land and then slapping fancy new names on it and calling it our own. (If you put a "new" in front of "Mexico", it makes it yours, after-all!) So we make it ours, create borders, and then call anyone outside of it aliens, border jumpers or wetbacks. These people want so badly to be a part of this country and we make it near impossible. So they use fake SSNs to get jobs, they pay their taxes, they pay INTO programs they can never take out of, and yet everyone sits around griping about how they're supporting the illegals and aliens are bringing down our economy and stealing jobs...BS! Do some illegals work under the table? Do some abuse the assistance programs? You bet. I feel confident in saying it's no more than our humble citizens do though. Because we are, after-all, lazy America. Always looking for a hand out and a face to blame.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment