I started this blog to mostly keep tabs on my children as they grow. A place for me to reflect on their achievements and post pictures to correspond with those occasions. But as it happens, I can't even think to write about my kiddos without feeling like I need to write something profound. It seems a disservice to mention them and leave out the very way they shape and mold my life into the most beautiful thing I never expected. I look at other mothers and find it exceptionally amazing that each and every one of them can feel just as strongly for their little people, for their lives to be just as moved. Fascinating, isn't it? I think it's every mother's right, at the birth of her child, to believe that that child is the most amazing thing in the entire world. It's hard to think anything less of the very being that ties you here and wraps all of your love and wants and desires in that very first breath. Ah, children. Social networking has provided quite the glimpse into what would otherwise be near-stranger's lives. I see people post daily the antics and quotes of their young children. I see also the complete admiration that follows the sometimes non-descript words. Just the other day Ethan came out to us and, completely unprovoked, declared himself to be Tiger Woods. Then demonstrated his exceptional golfing talent for us. It sounds cute and I think others got a chuckle from my share, but oh how it felt to me. Like my heart was on a cable directly to his and watching him in that little moment made me feel like it would pull right out of my chest just to be attached to his. When Faith was very small, I used to think this feeling was just the glossy phase of new motherhood. I would tear up just to see strangers smile at her. But today, when my little shopping buddy asked the baker at Safeway, while smiling her sweetest smile, for a cookie - there that feeling was again. That pride and love that so overfills my heart, it leaks right out of my eyes. I'd blame my being such a softy on the natural tendency of my personality to lean so - but I think anyone who knows me knows it simply isn't true. It's just these children and the very way they move me. Again, fascinating. I've gotten some great pictures in the last few weeks that I haven't gotten to share, so I think I'll post those and gloat a little bit more!
Faith calls dandelions 'poky-heads', she also insists on wishing on every one she sees!
Mr. Tiger Woods himself!
Faith having a blast on the lake with my parents
I should have known he was up to no good the moment he got quiet...
Parenthood is amazing honey. All the things your feeling i felt when you and your brother were born. Then i never imagined i could have that feeling ever again, but today, being a Nana, i experience those feelings too on a regular basis. Your children are the beat of my heart! You are a fantastic mommy!
ReplyDeleteYou have a way with words! <3 it!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful post.... very profound. I completely agree with you. I had no idea that I would love my kids the way I do. I always knew I'd love them to pieces, but I didn't even know that this kind of love existed. It's the, "I'd throw myself in front of a bus for you..." kind of love. It's how your heart melts when they say and do the little things that are just cute to other people... I totally
ReplyDeleteget you. Mylee blows me away every day.
The kind of love we feel for our kids is a kind of love that no man will ever understand. Sure, they love their kids very much and would protect them with their life, but a mother's love is just different... Deeper.
You're such a great writer, always have been, and your kids will love reading this post one day.
Hi Jess! Just found your blog! I totally agree. I never knew how much I would love my kids or the feelings it would provoke in me. The day I became a mom it changed my world forever. I will never be the same. Funny thing is I wouldn't have it any other way. I often tear up when they say or do something. When Brandon does good at one of his sport activities again I tear up. Oh and that pic of Ethan. Holy cow when did he grow up?????
ReplyDelete