Thursday, July 22, 2010

Who does that baby look like?

Even before baby is born - the speculation starts about who he or she will look like. For 4 years - strangers and loved ones alike have made mention of how completely Faith looks like Matt. Just yesterday I took the kids to the YMCA to get our membership cards that Matt had signed us up for a few days before. The man that helped us asked for our names and when I told him, he let out a little chuckle. "I should have known - they look just like their dad, especially her!" I smiled too, this little exchange is all too familiar to me. So - while it might be obvious who they look most like, I think it's fun to see who else shows in their faces. I am there - subtly - in Faith's brown eyes and the shape of Ethan's features. But there are other people too. When Ethan was 9 months old, I realized how much he looks like my brother. Almost a little carbon copy of him as a child, only their eye and hair color separating them. And sometimes when I look at Faith, I see almost exactly Matt's sister Meaghan. There are also some old pictures of Matt's grandmother Georgia that have a startling resemblance to Faith. Only the black and white simplicity of an old photo insist that it couldn't be my child. I also love how different they look from each other. Not a thing about them makes them look like siblings and yet Matt and I are so clearly found in their faces. It's so exciting to see what new looks they take on as they grow- and which they leave behind.
I wish I had a better picture of my brother - they really look so much alike!


Matt's paternal grandma Georgia - crazy eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment