
Many Americans can't name the 21st president, the 14th president, the 38th president...but I'm pretty sure a good chunk of us will always know who the 44th president was. Today isn't about what side of the political fence you lie on or who you voted for. It's about being American and welcoming the opportunity to be a huge part of history. No, his skin color really makes no difference when it comes to how he will perform as our president, but it speaks volumes about our society and how far we've come. I think the youth today have lost sight of the struggles of our elders. It's so easy for us to think passively about the monumentous strides minorities (and women!!) have made in the last century. 50 years ago, Barack Obama's grandfather couldn't go hang out in the same bar as George Bush's grandfather because segregation wouldn't allow it. This is a huge deal. I'm proud to be a part of it. Everyone should be. People can roll their eyes at the 'hope and change' message all they want. You cannot deny that this is indeed hope and change. I will be wishing our new president a successful four (eight?) years - his success is our success. I hope the rest of America realizes that.
No comments:
Post a Comment