Thursday, January 29, 2009

Twilight


About 6 months ago while I was working the farmer's market, the girl in the booth next to me started gushing about the book she was reading. I had heard something about vampires and a love story and tuned out. Sci-fi and romances (especially combined!) are not my thing. I didn't even remember the title of the book. For almost a month she brought this book with her to the market, even though she had long finished reading it. She said she just needed it. I was pretty sure she was a little nutty! I don't remember when I heard about Twilight next but it was everywhere. I was reluctant. I mean a vampire? A love story? Pass. Well, it seems you can only be out of the loop so long. I borrowed the first two books from my friend and set off to see what all the hype was about. 24 hours later, I had finished Twilight. I will never understand what the pull of this book it, but I'm hooked regardless! The romance is dense, the writing is simple, Bella is exasperating and yet...I need it. (Who's nutty now?!) After 24 hours more I had completed New Moon - a book I found infinitely better than the first - making the saga's roots dig a little deeper in my literary desires. Stephanie Meyer is a clever woman. All of the negative reviews I've read on this book are true. The lack of substance, the over-use of the same adjectives and...purple prose anyone?! Regardless, here I am, more than certain I'll be reading books 3 and 4, and watching the movie - of course. How does she do it?

2 comments:

  1. I might have to try these. I have resisted for all of the reasons you listed (romance, sci fi, poor writing, ect.

    I shall contemplate this :)

    ReplyDelete